As a follow up to my post on the City of Boynton Beach having its regulations overturned by Florida state law, other Florida municipalities are debating medical marijuana dispensaries.
Those adopting or extending moratoriums on dispensaries:
- Marathon City, located in the Keys, has extended its moratorium for another 180 days.
- Winter Garden, located near Orlando, recently voted in favor of a moratorium.
- Collier County has also imposed a county-wide moratorium through the end of 2017.
- Coral Gables, located near Miami, has also voted to impose a ban on dispensaries.
- City of Sarasota, located south of Tampa, imposed a 60 day moratorium.
Miami Beach is investigating a creative workaround to impose some local control on dispensaries. Miami Beach is looking into changing the zoning rules for pharmacies within their borders since municipalities are required to regulate dispensaries as they do pharmacies.
Meanwhile, the first dispensary in the City of Jacksonville, Florida recently opened its doors. Tallahassee, the capital of Florida, also recently had its first dispensary open.
Dori K. Stibolt is a West Palm Beach, Florida based partner with the law firm of Fox Rothschild LLP. She focuses her practice on litigation and labor and employment issues. You can contact Dori at 561-804-4417 or firstname.lastname@example.org.